The Garmin GPS MAPS 64s is perfect for the adventurer that loves geocaching, large buttons, and high-value items. It is our Top Pick for Reliability. The large buttons on this unit make getting from one place to another easy and breezy. A dual GPS/GLONASS receiver monitors 2 separate satellite constellations for faster position fixes and greater reliability under forest canopies and in canyons.
Getting the most out of your GPS requires some understanding of how to use it. That’s where having the owner’s manual comes in handy. With proper usage, there is less risk of damage, and you’ll learn how to get the most out of it.
For safe and optimum performance, the Garmin 64s GPS must be used properly. Carefully read and follow all instructions and guidelines in this manual and give special attention to the CAUTION and WARNING statements. Misuse may damage the unit and/or cause harm or serious injury.
|Everything you expect from button-operated GPS||Everything you disliked in button-operated GPS|
|Extreme ruggedness and ease of operation||Not user-friendly|
|Tons of outdoor-oriented features||Still no wireless data transfer to desktop PC|
- Button controls are glove-friendly.
- Built-in 3-axis compass with tilt compensation for accuracy on the go or at rest.
- A Barometric altimeter tracks pressure changes for more accurate altitude readings and monitoring weather trends.
- Displays Smart Notifications from smartphones via 2.4GHz ANT+ or Bluetooth 4.0 so you can keep your phone out of the weather.
- Pairs with optional HRM strap, Foot Pod or Speed, and Cadence sensors for workouts.
- Preloaded with geocaches from geocaching.com.
- Accepts free BaseCamp software to display topographic maps with contour lines and elevation profiles on your computer.
- Compatible with Garmin Custom Maps, which converts paper and electronic maps easily into downloadable maps for your device.
- An optional NiMH battery pack (available separately) can be charged while inside the device.
- A basic base map is included.
- 4GB built-in memory for loading detailed maps.
- Accepts microSD card for memory expansion (not included).
- Includes carabiner clip, USB cable, and user manual.
In total, the unit features ten large and easy-to-use buttons. They work well with both thick and thin gloves. Of all the buttoned units tested, we felt like this was one of the easiest to get to know and understand.
What is the difference between Garmin Gpsmap 64s and 64st?
The primary difference between the two is color; the 64s feature orange accents, while the 64st features grey accents. They are functionally equivalent.
How accurate are Garmin Gpsmap 64s?
The 64s is said to be accurate to within 9 feet.
Is the Garmin 64s waterproof?
Does Garmin 64s have SOS?
No. There is no radio transmitter in this unit.